Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wedding Cake Wednesday -- My Very First Wedding Cake



I thought it would be fun to have a weekly post about the wedding cakes I'm working on. Before I get to my current ones, though, I will start where it all began: my very first. This was in the summer of 2004--before Le Cordon Bleu, before I knew how to frost a cake, before I dared to make a cake that wasn't from a mix.

This was definitely a "figure it out as you go" kind of deal. I will always be grateful to my cousin (the bride) for selecting a simple yet elegant cake for her wedding. Because, let's be honest, I love to make things more complicated than they are! I could have spent the entire summer figuring this out. It's really hard when you've never made a wedding cake before and you have no one you can talk to about the process.

Not surprisingly, I ended up staying up until the wee hours putting the finishing touches on it the night before the wedding. I also had my first attack of what I call "cake insomnia," which is what I've had with every single wedding cake since. Even when the cake is finished, I have trouble sleeping until I know that it's safe at the wedding site. They say that the more cakes you do, the less you stress about them, but I'm still waiting for this to happen....

Info on the cake:

Top and bottom tiers: Vanilla layers with raspberry buttercream filling

Middle tier: Vanilla layers with chocolate/hazelnut filling

Outside: Vanilla buttercream

Cake board: Custom-made just for this cake. I still use it for some of my other cakes.

Flowers: Lilies purchased from a Jo-Ann Fabric that was going out of business. Believe it or not, finding the perfect silk flowers was the hardest part of doing this cake. It took weeks. (I opted not to use fresh lilies, because I read somewhere that they have a very strong odor that can overwhelm the cake. And I was unaware at that point that the flowers could be made out of gumpaste.)

No comments:

Post a Comment