Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wedding Cake Wednesday -- A Cake for My Little Brother



Last August I had the honor of making this cake for my brother David's wedding.

(I only refer to him as my "little brother" because I'm slightly older than he is. I can't really call him little anymore; he hit a growth spurt as an adolescent and has towered over me ever since.)

I made this cake with extra love! It took several nights of making sugar flowers in front of the TV, but I was able to get them all done with plenty of time to spare. I should mention that I was also working on two other wedding cakes at the same time. It was crazy! But then again, I suppose that's why I call myself a crazy baker. Let's hear it for my mad time management skills.

Details on the cake...

Top and bottom tiers: Vanilla layers with raspberry jam filling.

Middle tier: Vanilla layers with caramel filling (VERY tasty).

Outside: Vanilla buttercream (which you can't see), covered in rolled fondant. Piped borders in royal icing.

Flowers: All handmade from gumpaste. I normally use fondant or a gumpaste/fondant combination for flowers, but I wanted to go all-out on this one. You can get the petals so incredibly thin and lifelike with gumpaste. I also used other touches to make the flowers more lifelike, namely Luster Dust and Petal Dust. (These are basically glorified versions of chalk that you can eat--not that I'd recommend eating these flowers. I'm just sayin' you could.)

Cake board: Standard wooden round from the cake shop, wrapped in foil for some nice cake bling.

Topper: Classic and beautiful. I actually didn't know what it would like until I showed up at the reception site. I love surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment