Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Experiment of the Week -- Cactus Cornbread



I've waited 13 years to make these!

The first time I tried them, I was a freshman in college. It was green chile and cheddar cornbread, and it changed my life. I've had a lot of cornbread since then, but nothing could compare. I don't know why, but for some reason it just tastes better when it's in the shape of a cactus.

I held off on buying the cast iron cactus pan for years -- I thought it was just too frivolous. Six months ago, I came really close to buying one when Geoff and I were on our road trip, but I chickened out.

So a few days ago, Geoff got a couple of packages from Amazon. He said that one of them was for me. I opened it, and to my surprise, it was the cactus pan of my dreams. GREATEST SURPRISE EVER! Check it out:



This has got to be the coolest piece of bakeware that I own! It even came pre-seasoned, which made it even more magical.

The cacti in the picture at the top of this post were made with plain cornbread batter. For the ones pictured below, I added green chile powder and cheddar cheese, just like the ones in 1996.




I will be making these often.

3 comments:

  1. That is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. Now I want to move back to Arizona even more -- or to Oregon so I can hang out around your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! That's exactly what I had in mind for what would be perfect to make in that pan! What a thoughful boyfriend you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were incredibly delicious and spicy at the same time. I'd eat them just about any and every day.

    ReplyDelete