Monday, April 6, 2009

Experiment of the Week -- Fortune Cookies



Last Sunday I tried out my first reader-suggested recipe: fortune cookies. They were fun, tasty, and relatively simple. Of course, I didn't start out making perfect fortune cookies. I found that preparing and baking the 4-inch rounds of tuile batter was easy. Pulling the cookies from the oven at just the right stage of doneness: also easy. Doing cookie origami for an entire sheet tray in under one minute: NOT easy (the first few times anyway).

Check out the fantastic fail:



(The fortune says "Please don't eat me. I love you.")

I just couldn't figure out how to fold them into the classic fortune cookie shape. Because I'm not gifted at spatial relationships or shapes, I turned to Geoff for help.

I'm sure that someday I'll write a book with a title that reads something like 100 Reasons It's Great to Live With Engineers. Reason #58: They save your ass when you can't figure out how to turn flat circles into fortune cookies! Anyway, once Geoff showed me the way, it was smooth sailing.

The secret is to fold each cookie up like a taco, place the fortune inside, and then fold it in a special way over a wooden spoon. It was also helpful to stick the finished cookies in a muffin tin to keep their shape as they cooled down and crisped up. The only thing I'd do differently next time would be to make a larger batch (this one made 14).

2 comments:

  1. These are great. You are such a talented girl. I wanna be like you when I grow up. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I want to learn how to make those!

    ReplyDelete