Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wedding Cake Wednesday -- Ben and Hannah



Ben and Hannah tied the knot...like two and a half months ago! I am really behind on posting my wedding cakes. Embarrassing. Anyway, I had the honor of making the cake for my good friends, and I have to say that this particular cake was one of the best experiences of my pastry career. Fortunately, I had Greenie helping me set up that day. He was able to get some great shots.



"O hai!"

(If you follow icanhascheezburger.com, that caption will make sense. If not, don't worry about it.)

Here's one of me in "all business" mode. Each flower had to be placed just so. In case you're wondering why there is a different cake topper from the "official" portfolio picture, it's because I swapped out toppers for the reception. I believe the one shown below belongs to Hannah's grandmother, so there was a lot of sentimental value in having it on the cake.



Here's a nice close-up of one of the flowers and some of the leaves. Special shout-out to my incredible friend Meghan for making the leaves! They are beautiful.

I made each flower -- lovingly -- by hand. Why? Because I'm crazy!




Details on the cake:

Bottom tier: Chocolate with KahlĂșa buttercream

Middle and top tiers: Zucchini spice with vanilla buttercream

Outside: People were really curious about how I did the panels. I made them out of modeling chocolate. It involved a pasta machine, some serious problem-solving skills, and a really long evening!

Flowers and leaves: Dark modeling chocolate. The process is very similar to making gumpaste roses and leaves, only you use cocoa powder to keep everything from getting sticky. Also, these flowers are awesome because they don't become super-brittle as they dry. That means you can fiddle with them on-site as you're setting up the cake. Which I did.... SO AWESOME.

This cake was incredibly satisfying to make. It was truly a departure from the standard fare, not to mention challenging on a number of levels. I really had to "bring my A game."

Thanks for letting me make your cake, Ben and Hannah! (P.S. Sorry for all the stuff I did in your photo booth.) Also, I have an extra five pounds of white modeling chocolate sitting around if anyone wants any.






5 comments:

  1. That paneling really was cool; I'm surprised that more people don't ask for that kind of a style.

    The 3 things I'll remember most about the wedding:
    1) The waiter from Stupidville. He didn't think that people might want to try two different flavors, so he only cut the Kahlua layer. The zucchini flavor was so good but most people missed it.
    2) Going back and forth between the car and the restaurant. People stared at me for bringing in cake stuff. Several times.
    3) The photo booth, enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much fun helping out with the cake! And I did miss the zucchini cake - I really wanted to try it. I'm sure it was awesome :) What a great wedding and a great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you (again) for making us such a beautiful and delicious cake! I'm glad you got some good pictures pre-fluffy cake topper. I would have preferred the chocolate flowers but the fluffy cake topper put a big smile on my 94 year only Grandma's face.
    Geoff, don't worry about the zucchini flavor not being enjoyed, Ben's family devoured it at our post wedding brunch.
    Thank you Holly, Meghan, Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You do amazing work. That's a beautiful cake and the flowers are incredible!

    ReplyDelete